DATE OF AMENDMENT: March 7, 2022
Please read this Order carefully. Violation of or failure to comply with this Order is a misdemeanor punishable by fine, imprisonment, or both. (California Health and Safety Code § 120275, et seq.)
UNDER THE AUTHORITY OF CALIFORNIA HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE SECTIONS 101040, 101085, AND 120175, THE HEALTH OFFICER OF THE COUNTY OF SONOMA (“HEALTH OFFICER”) ORDER:
- Summary. This Amendment allows employers covered by C19-32 Order to exempt from the testing and face covering requirement those personnel who are fully vaccinated but not yet boosted. Furthermore, this Amendment allows those employers to grant an optional postponement of once weekly testing for personnel with a Confirmed COVID-19 Infection (as defined below) for 90 days from the date of diagnosis/test result; however, all Unvaccinated or Unverified personnel (as defined below) must continue to comply with the face covering requirement.
Nothing in this Amendment prohibits employers covered by the Order to continue to require testing of non-boosted personnel, personnel with a Confirmed COVID-19 Infection, or any personnel who has symptoms consistent with COVID-19. Furthermore, nothing in this Amendment relieves an employer from any legal obligation to test any personnel who is a close contact in the workplace in accordance with Cal/OSHA ETS and/or the Cal/OSHA Aerosol Transmissible Diseases Standards.
- Basis. Sonoma County has experienced a reduction in the number of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations since the issuance of the Order. Testing supplies remain low and difficult to obtain, and new CDC public health guidance is shifting away from a public testing strategy to more focus on hospital needs. Therefore, it is appropriate to rescind the testing requirement for non-boosted personnel.
- Personnel. Section 5 is revised and replaced as follows:
An Employer may exempt the following Personnel from being subject to the COVID-19 Test Requirements set forth in Section 4 of this Order:
a. Fully Updated Personnel;
b. Fully Vaccinated Personnel; and,
c. Personnel with a Confirmed COVID-19 Infection for 90 days from the date of diagnosis/test result.
An Employer may accept any of the documentation allowed for Fully Vaccinated Personnel in Subdivision 5 of Order of the Health Officer (C19-26). For Confirmed COVID-19 Infection, Employer may accept documentation as allowed in Subdivision 5 below. In the absence of knowledge to the contrary, an Employer may accept the documentation presented as valid.
- COVID-19 Test Requirements. Section 4 is revised and replaced as follows:
Except as set forth in Section 5 of this Order, an Employer shall require all of its Personnel to do the following:
- Receive a COVID-19 Test at least once a week; and
- Unless test results are sent directly to the Employer by the test provider, Personnel must promptly provide the results of each COVID-19 test to the Employer for Record-Keeping.
Employer may confirm a positive antigen test with a confirmatory nucleic acid amplification test; Employer shall not use another antigen test to confirm a positive antigen test. Employer must exclude from work any Personnel who receives a positive antigen test.
- Face Covering Requirement. Section 6 is revised and replaced as follows:
The following Personnel must continue to wear FDA-cleared surgical masks or respirators in indoor work settings regardless of whether they have provided documentation of a Confirmed COVID-19 Infection:
a. Unvaccinated Personnel; and,
b. Unverified Personnel.
All Employers and Personnel must continue to comply with all applicable state masking requirements, including during outbreaks (Cal/OSHA ETS) and early return-to-work provisions following isolation or quarantine (CDPH).
- Definitions. For purposes of this Amendment,
“Confirmed COVID-19 Infection” means any of the following:
- Dated documentation of previous COVID-19 diagnosis from a licensed healthcare provider;
- Dated documentation of confirmatory positive nucleic acid amplification test; or
- Positive antigen test supervised by Employer.
“Unvaccinated” for purposes of this Amendment means that the Personnel does not meet the definition for Fully Vaccinated as that term is defined in Order C19-32.
“Unverified” for purposes of this Amendment means that the Personnel has refused or fails to show any documentation allowed for Fully Vaccinated Personnel in Subdivision 5 of Order of the Health Officer (C19-26).
- Obligation to Follow Stricter Requirements of Orders. Where a conflict exists between these Amendments Nos. (1-3) and Order C19-32 and any state or federal orders related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the most restrictive provision (i.e., the more protective of public health) controls.
- Copies; Contact Information. Copies of this Amendment shall promptly be: (1) made available at the County Administration Center at 575 Administration Drive, Santa Rosa CA 95403; (2) posted on the County Public Health Department website (https://sonomacounty.ca.gov/Health/Public-Health/) and (http://socotestpsa.org/); and (3) provided to any member of the public requesting a copy of this Order.
IT IS SO ORDERED:
Dr. Sundari R. Mase, MD MPH
Health Officer of the County of Sonoma